Tuesday, July 9, 2019

10 Years!!

Ten years. How is it possible?? I remember it like it was yesterday.....midnight and the call from Bobbi telling me that the barn where we boarded was on fire and our horses were missing. My husband out of town and 3 year old Isaiah asleep, I was left helpless while others searched for my horse. Waiting for the call seemed endless, but finally at 3 AM the call comes in: Suki had been found but was gravely injured. Bobbi and her husband transported Suki to New Bolton after leaving Bobbi’s injured horse at another farm. Her horse had minorish injuries, but after such an event you never know how that will progress....I am forever grateful for that act of kindness.

As most know by now Suki was burned over 70% of her body and her survival was questionable. But that first day in the hospital when she nickered in response to my voice I knew she was ready for the fight. It was a long process but my diva rallied. My concern was that she was not suffering and the staff managed her pain beyond anything that I thought possible. She actually gained a few pounds during her stay! Horses won’t eat if they are in pain. I visited Suki 3 days a week during her 7 week stay in ICU. I would have gone more but it is 1 1/2 hours from my house. I had a running conversation with my doctors, who were AMAZING!

The comment that sticks in my mind is one that attending veterinarian, Kelly Kalf told reporters: “She lifted her head and we never looked back”. Suki continued to improve and thrive.

I have learned many things from this experience; life is fragile, people are kind (even those who you have never met, but offer the kind of moral support that keeps you going), during a tragedy you can dig deep inside yourself and find strength, it is okay to accept heal from others. The list goes on.

Suki’s courage and strength amaze me. She has inspired people around the world and given others courage and strength. Who would have thought that a big chestnut mare in Berks County Pennsylvania would have the ability to do this?! I have always considered this a silver lining.

Originally I had thought about having a bit of a celebration today. Then I realized that the big deal is that Suki survived and thrived beating odds that were stacked squarely against her.

So many people to thank, that I would surely leave someone out accidentally! It truly took a village to get her here. Thank you everyone.



4 comments:

  1. Congratulations, Suki! You are truly a miracle, a beautiful, beautiful girl! Here's to many, many more years of health and wellness!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Jane! It continues to be quite a journey!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations! Sending love all the way from Belgium

    ReplyDelete