Thursday, July 9, 2020

11 Year Anniversary of the barn fire!

July 9, 2009.  10:50 PM Barn fire called into the fire department.  It would eventually take fire crews from 30 fire departments from Berks, Chester and Montgomery counties to finally extinguish the fire as the barns burned into the morning of July 10.  I received a call at midnight from a fellow boarder, informing me about the fire and the fact that her horse and mine (Suki) were missing.  People were heading out to look for the two chestnut mares (Suki was so badly burned that she was later described as a bay by someone who saw them running across a road).  With my husband out of town and 3 year old Isaiah asleep all I could do was wait.  I could hear the sirens all around me, so I turned down the thermostat of the air conditioning to keep it running, helping to drown out the noise.  I paced, texted and called people and waited for news. 

The news was not good, when the horses were found in a field around 3 AM.  Suki was badly burned and in distress, and my first question to the veterinarian on the scene was “does she need to be put down?”  I didn’t want her to suffer.  The decision was made to send her to New Bolton, about an hour away (I am thankful to live near this amazing hospital). When I finally spoke to Dr. Kelly Kalf I asked her that same question.  She told me that Suki was severely burned but stable and being made comfortable.  Dr. Kalf advised to give her a few days to see how she progressed.  

I remembered the last time I saw Suki before the fire. It was July 9 in the afternoon. I stopped in to see her on my way home. My original plan was to ride her that day but my husband had to unexpectedly go out of town and Isaiah was home from preschool. So I gave her some treats and said “see you tomorrow my beautiful girl.”

I dropped off Isaiah at preschool and went to New Bolton.  My friend Donna went with me stating that this was not something I should do alone.  After bursting into tears in reception we were guided to ICU.  Dressed in gowns we entered the facility.  Suki was slathered in SSD and surrounded by doctors.  I will always remember this moment: I called Suki’s name and she softly nickered at the sound of my voice and I knew she was up for the fight. Suki continued to improve with only a couple of minor setbacks.  At 17.3 she was not always easy to handle but the 24 hour care and medical expertise got her through.  Horses won’t eat when they are in pain, and burn healing requires a lot of energy.  Suki’s pain management was carefully planned and adjusted as necessary.  She actually gained weight while in the hospital! (There was a scale outside her stall).  Everyone at New Bolton was so supportive, answering my questions and tolerating my visits 4 days a week!



Fast forward 11 years.  Suki is a happy, healthy 20 year young horse!  A sassy diva who can do light work and brings joy and inspiration to everyone who meets her.



SO MANY PEOPLE got us to this point: first responders, doctors, nurses, trainers, students, friends, family, strangers who became friends and supporters from near and far. Many Thanks to all of you.  
Our story continues.......

8 comments:

  1. Havent seen you for some time on my fb. So happy all is well with you all. God bless this beautiful girl and your standing by her through it all. She must so love you. Continued happiness for you all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been bad about posting! Thank you for your support and kind words! Suki is amazing. I feel so blessed to have her in my life!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My horse Treasure Mountain was there too...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I worked at the farm and used to ride Treasure if it’s the same horse. I think about him a lot!

      Delete
  4. Really? We had only been there since April so I don’t know if I met everyone! Where did you go after that? Was your horse okay after the fire?

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad and you are so BLESSED! Suki is Beautiful, where is New Bolton?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I worked at the farm that summer and think of all the horses often. Such a traumatic experience. Suki was so sweet (and fancy!). Did they ever release any information about the cause of the fire?

    ReplyDelete
  7. How is Suki and everyone doing? It's Oct. 2021 now.

    ReplyDelete