Friday, April 19, 2013

A Hero's Welcome

Thursday, April11, 2013
Being away from home for six days is stressful on many levels.  I always marvel at my husband's ability to travel for business....he packs his suitcase (after I have made sure that all necessary clothing is clean and ready to be packed) and walks out the door.  There are no extra chores for him to perform.  Prior to travel I have to make sure that he and Isaiah have all of the necessary clothing available and instructions on how to wash certain items (like school uniforms, rding clothes,etc) just in case it is.  I do all of the laundry in the house pretty much by choice.  It is because I am truly anal about how it should be done...gentle, low dry, hang in the laundry room.  There are notes about school, activities, etc.  I have to arrange for Suki and Nikki to be groomed/ get the picture.  Reminders are texted from me when I worry that something will be forgotten, and I am sure that Deb just LOVES getting my blanket texts for the girls!  When I am attending a conference I don't have very much down time so there is not a lot of time for me to worry about things.  I realize that this must sound like I am a total control freak, which I probably am, but just a little!  But I know that things typically run pretty smoothly in my absence, so there is actually very little to worry about!

This time when I left for DC it had been chilly, with winter hanging on for its last hurrah.  While I  was away temperatures soared and the foliage began to show the first signs of life.  The cherry blossoms were at their peak when I was in Washington but there was no time for me to see them in person.  The photos on the news were truly lovely though!  Arriving home I was welcomed by buds on most trees, forsythias in full bloom and rows of daffodils.  The grass also started to change from brownish to spring green.  As I walked in the door Ripley practically turned himself inside out saying hello with welcoming whines and barking (he is a Weimaraner and VERY vocal!).  The cats ran into the kitchen and I felt surrounded by love (and as if I had been gone for years!).  Since I made it home in time to pick up Isaiah from school I decided to go instead of my husband (oh yeah....he was happy that I was home as well).  Clearly Isaiah was not expecting me because as he came through the door his beautiful brown eyes widened with excitement as he ran to me and threw himself into my arms.  A hero's welcome.....there is  nothing better!

Deb and Toby took care of the girls that day but just before dinner I ran over to see them and pick up yet another sheet that needs to be sent out for repairs/cleaning.  As always, I walked into the barn and said "Hi Girls!"  At once both Suki and Nikki nickered loudly, stomping and calling to me.  I stopped at Nikki's stall giving her hugs and treats while Suki vocalized and banged her stall door impatiently.  Nikki snuffled my my hair then proceeded to search for treats.  As typical of Suki, she practically threw herself at me when I opened her door (kind of like Isaiah, but at 1400 lbs!).  She too looked for treats while her nostrils silently nickered.  Another hero's welcome....the best part of coming home.

Another milestone was achieved while I was away.  Last year during the warm weather months Suki needed to wear a padded bandage under her fly sheet or the fly sheet with a foam pad velcroed to it.  The graft area, although healed, was still quite sensitive.  Several attempts had been made to eliminate the extra protection but sections of the graft became irritated from rolling.  Once Suki started to wear heavier sheets then blankets I eliminated the bandage successfuly.  But a fly sheet offers much less protection.  When I left for the conference Suki was still wearing a heavy sheet.  But I knew that while I was away Nikki would be going naked and Suki would wear a fly sheet.  Needless to say I was nervous.  A full supply of bandage material was ready just in case....

All appeared to go well, although I do think there was slight pinkness to the area.  Probably not, though I tend to overanalyze when it comes to Suki's skin!

Wednesday April 17, 2013
My goodness this post is taking me forever to write!  But in addition to the hero's welcome when I return from a trip there are also many responsibilities.
Since my return I have started to lunge the girls regularly.  Because I am preparing Nikki for getting back to work she is being lunged more frequently than Suki.  Both horses are doing well so I am really looking forward to advancing their training. 

Prior to my trip both girls had begun to really shed out, so their coats are looking beautiful again.  I noticed a change in Suki's coat this winter, especially as she began to shed it this spring.  Her coat grew in thicker this year.  The temperatures weren't any colder than normal and she certainly did not get a coat as thick as Nikki's, but she never has.  Suki never had to be body clipped for winter work, because although it grew thicker, the hair was never got to the point requiring clipping.  So now, of course I am left to wonder as to the cause.  Is it because now, nearly 4 years after the fire, she is becoming physiologically more "normal"?  Her reproductive physiology is certainly fine, as she returned to normal heat cycles less than a year after the fire. Or is it due to aging?  Perhaps I will never know, but I think I will speak with some of the burn specialists for their thoughts on the matter.

Friday April 19, 2013
Storms are beginning to roll in.  I had entertained lunging Nikki, but by the time I got to the barn tonight the wind was really beginning to kick up pulling dirt and leaves with it.  Suki and Nikki came right to the gate which is always helpful.  We are going to be doing the blanket dance over the next few days.  80's today, but tomorrow night down to the freezing mark. 
To top off the day Ripley, my Weimaraner rolled in fox poop requiring an immediate bath.....

The weekend is supposed to be pretty nice after this line of wicked storms so I look forward to getting in some training.  I would say relaxation, too, but that is usually not an option!


  1. Ah, it all depends on how you define 'relaxation' ;) My little Charlsie adores rolling in pigeon poop. I have yet to understand this urge!

    1. I don't get it either! Ripley's favorite thing to do after the rain is to look for worms to roll on..... : )