Monday, July 9, 2012

The three year anniversary

Three years. It is so hard to believe that so much time has passed since that fateful day. An emotional rollercoaster ride to say the least. I will never forget receiving the midnight phone call from Bobbi alerting me to the fire and the fact that our horses were missing. So many stories came out of that night. The worst for me was the report of a running horse "on fire". People tried to tell me later that it wasn't true, but when you see Suki's back, it is obvious what happened. The agony of the wait for a telephone call that I hoped would tell me that Suki had been found and was fine. Then the realization that yes, Suki had been found, but critically burned. So many people helped that night, and are heroes to me and Suki. My friend Bobbi, left her own horse at a strange barn to take Suki to New Bolton because I was at home alone with my 3 year old son.

I remember staring at the ruins of the barn that had once housed my beloved girl, and feeling my heart ache, when I thought of the terror and agony she must have experienced that night.

It seems like just yesterday that I walked into ICU, and upon seeing my beautiful girl, feeling like someone had reached in and ripped my heart from my chest....wondering if she would survive. But survive, she most certainly did. And not only that, THRIVED! The amazing staff at New Bolton saved Suki and gave her back to me and her diva personality never faltered. Kelly took over from there, faithfully nursing Suki back to health healing both of us emotionally as well. When we left Kelly's rehab farm daily care was still required and Lori helped me with that. I could never have done it alone. It took a village to save Suki and make her whole again. We are eternally grateful.

Suki demonstrated courage and strength that few can imagine and became an inspiration to people around the world. She has stolen the heart of everyone who meets or reads about her, because Suki has shown us that in spite of physical limitations or imperfections we all have a purpose in life, and we are all special in some way. My beautiful horse has shown me how to appreciate life and those I am fortunate to have in it. We have met so many wonderful people with whom we have shared stories. They have inspired us, just as we have inspired them.

Tonight I toasted Suki's survival with friends.....people I would never have known otherwise, but came into my life because of Suki. I raise my glass to all of you around the globe who read Suki's stories here and on Facebook, and say "thank you" for all of your support.

Suki and I sharing a glass of champagne:




6 comments:

  1. I just learned of your story. You are both blessed by your bond, and by the love. skill, and determination that brought Suki through her injuries. This makes me long even more for the day when I will be able once again to have horses in my life. Congratulations to you,; may you have many more joyful years together!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jackie. Suki and I have received such tremendous support and care throughout this time. Although this was a tragic event, Suki's survival and recovery have helped many people and horses. It is the silver lining. I truly do feel blessed. I am sure that at some point you will be able to bring horses back into your life.....

      Fran

      Delete
  2. amazing story!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Suki is an amazing horse. She has demonstrated courage beyond belief, which in turn has given me courage as well.

      Fran

      Delete
  3. How courageous you both are! Happy Anniversary to you both and my you both have many, many long years together! Suki is a beautiful horse and from her pictures she knows it too. Always posing for the camera, with a "look at me" look to her! Beautiful, beautiful horse!
    You Rock Suki!!!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jane! Suki definitely hams it up for the camera! From the day she arrived as a 3 year old, her nickname became "super model" because of her attitude!
      I love your blog!

      Fran

      Delete