Thursday, August 2, 2012

Passage anyone?

I longed to speak to my father tonight. He passed away in 1998, but is the reason I ride horses. Daddy drove me to ballet, gymnastics and riding always there for the triumphs and the falls. I just want to hear his voice again.... So I walked outside and looked into the sky. The clouds were shaped as a horse and rider, and I thanked my father silently for that first ride, the one from which there was no return. The ride that forever made me a horseman.

Once again, life gets so busy that the days just fly by, and I find that I am not enjoying the moments again! I feel like summer is winding down and attainable goals have fallen aside. The Olympics have taken over my life, as always, so I am staying up much later than usual, obsessed with checking results during the day, and cheering for a variety of sports. Dressage started today and only Jan Eberling and Rafalca rode. Day two will see the rest of the US team. I am hoping to watch the replay later.

Suki continues to take her doxy like a champ, but the minute she stops (because I feel like she will!)I have the contact information for the pharmacy to make the paste. Tuesday night we had a few downpours, and judging by the wet foam in Suki's fly sheet she did not go in the run in! But contrary to my concern she did not melt! Storms were not predicted so I was okay with it.

Storms were a possibility so I made the decision for Suki to stay in last night. Do I need to say that we did not have ONE DROP OF RAIN! ugggh. 1400 lbs of cranky chestnut mare!

One of the other boarders had a visitor yesterday, and it was the first time she saw Suki up close. XX remarked about her size, nut just height, but bone. It's funny, people are always in awe of her gaskins! She walked right up to Suki, rubbed her face and kissed her on the nose. Suki has that effect on people. Before the fire, she was admired more from afar. People always were hesitant to approach Suki because because of her diva attitude. Her natural talent, evident from one trot around the field amazed those who witnessed the display. Under saddle she grew in physical size and attitude commanding attention. She made me look good as I moved with her lovely gaits. Since the fire visitors seem slightly less hesitant, and although Suki is still a diva and will turn up her nose, she has softened. She seems to understand that she is somewhat of a celebrity, but one that is approachable. I still see the fire in her eyes, but it is now accompanied by a warmth. That warmth was always there for me, but not for everyone. But the greatest transformation is reserved for those who are suffering from illness, or for her fellow burn survivors. As crazy as it sounds she just seems to understand. I have watched her lower her head to receive an affectionate pat for those who can't reach. Suki is special, no doubt about it!

XX, the visitor, and I discussed mounting her, ("how did you get on her?!!!)and as always I am proud to say that I was able to mount her from the ground. The majority of the time I used a mounting block, but it is always important to maintain the ability to mount from the ground....because you just never know when you might have to do that!

When I walked Suki out of her stall today I observed only moderate stiffness, which is impressive given that she was in for most of the night. In spite of the humidity she was only warm but not really sweaty. A bit of cloud cover came over so I decided to do a short lunge. Two trips around at the trot and the stiffness was gone. The canter was loose and comfortable. Back to the trot, and then, I did it.....I shortened the lunge and moved closer, asking for a shorter stride, very lightly tapping her hocks with the whip....and yes, I dared to ask for a passage, without long lines, without side reins....and yes, my beautiful girl sat down a bit more and floated into passage. With tears streaming down my face I praised her. Suki stopped and turned toward me. As I looked into her eyes I could see the pride. I walked toward her and Suki lowered her neck in acceptance of my hug. We walked out of the arena, and I leaned against her as she grazed. Suki was born to be a star.....

6 comments:

  1. thank you for sharing. this touches me deeply. your incredible relationship of trust and love is evident. Lori Ribbon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words. They are greatly appreciated. I'm glad that you are enjoying reading about the trials and tribulations of Suki.

      Fran

      Delete
  2. Lovely...amazing. What tenderness and trust and love between you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I appreciate the kind words and interest in our story!

      Fran

      Delete
  3. It's sure a loving blassing what u do for suki and the loving friend ship u to have suki you are loved and mom loves u to suki god blass u both mom u have a heart of gold .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Sometimes it takes a tragedy to realize who we are. Suki has taught me so much about courage.

      Fran

      Delete