Sunday, February 19, 2012

Dreams and reality

Last night I dreamed that I was riding Suki. I could feel the floaty trot and the rocking horse canter. Initially when I woke up, around 3 AM, I was certain that it was real. In fact, it took a few minutes to realize time and place. So when I left my house at 7:15 to ride Nikki, it was particularly difficult to drive past the site of the fire. I drive past the former Pink Star Equestrian several times a week. Sometimes I glance over to where the barn once stood, sometimes not. I often look at the horses in the fields, now that it is a standardbred breeding farm. Today I felt my heart jump as I drove past, and took a longer way home after I rode Nikki, so that I would not have to drive past it again. My weekend rides on Nikki were truly lovely, and I can see the fine dressage horse that she is becoming. Tonight my abs and legs can feel the effects of the weekend workout. A fair amount of sitting trot and lateral work....felt great!
Today I count my blessings. Sometimes I forget to do that. Suki continues to thrive beyond what anyone ever expected. She is always happy to see me and I am always happy to see her. The time spent caring for her is rewarding and improves her quality of life as well as mine. Yes, it is a huge comittment, but animals always are. I have to order more Elasticon for her bandage. The tack stores no longer carry that brand and it is really the only one that adheres well. While the cost is higher, I have to change it less frequently, so it all balances out in the end! January 2012 The graft continues to improve, and I do think that the skin is becoming a bit tougher. Padding still required, but maybe by the time blanket season ends the extra padding of a bandage will no longer be necessary. Either way, I think that the surcingle for long lining, with saddle pad and foam pad will be fine. It is time for me to consult with the Toklat or Thin Line folks about a custom saddle pad.
Even through agressive rolling (daily!) we seem to be doing okay. This is such a relief. Suki somehow got a small abrasion over her left eye. The skin above her eyes does not have hair, and is a bit thinner and more likely to open with a small bump. While this cut is not large, it is always important to clean and treat. As Suki has become suspicious to any work on her head since the fire, this too requires treats in one hand while treating the small cut. It is healing well, so there are no real concerns.
This is a collage of recent photos taken by a friend.... I think it is beautiful! Short post tonight...busy weekend and very tired.....back to normal tomorrow!

2 comments:

  1. I just love seeing pic of Nikki, as she is so beautiful. I so love hearing about Suki's progress and hope that one day you can ride her. We can all take a lesson from her that beauty is only skin deep. I, like you look at books and say wow I wish I looked like that. I have lost a lot of weight over the last few years, so do feel good about myself. I did just have a loss in my family and its been hard dealing with it. I loss my father and I took in his little girl dog and she is such a joy. My big boy is like where did she come from. He is used to her being her only on special occasion. I tell him that he has a new sister. Thanks for listening to me you have a good night. Mitzi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So sorry to hear about your father, Mitzi. That is wonderful that you now have his dog with you! I lost my father several years ago, and it was devastating. He was the one who always supported my love of riding. It takes a long time to heal, and I still find myself wishing that my father was still here today. He has never met my son, who bears his name (Henry) as a middle name. You must have some wonderful memories of your father.

      Congratulations over your weight loss. I know that takes a lot of dedication.

      I always look forward to your comments, and am so glad that you are enjoying our journey. It is such a wonderful feeling to have so much support from around the world.
      Take care. Fran

      Delete